Sunday 27 March 2016

Coconut Rice

It was exam week. I know, I know. My older one is still in the 2nd grade. Not that these exams are important for his promotion to the third grade - this school has year long assessments which are counted for the promotion. But exams are exams. And as a parent, my tension literally hit the roof. I was never so tensed for my own exams. Be it board or competitive. I dread to think what the future holds when he has to give his boards.

We consciously didn't opt for the schools where there are no exams till 4th or 5th grade. The kids need to understand the concept of exams from an early age; though that is not the sole criteria for promotion. This is our personal opinion.


Enough of my opinions now. This recipe was printed in Hyderabad Times during Sankranti time. I had cut this and kept it in my folder. We hardly use coconut in our cuisine. So this was a completely new recipe for me to try. Its extremely easy, quick-to-make and use up that left over rice. We had this on its own, but I think it's best served with a spicy non-veg curry.

Ingredients

2 cups cooked rice - ensure the grains are separate
1 cup Fresh Grated Coconut

For seasoning:
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 TBSP Chana Dal
2 tsp Urad Dal
2 Dry Red Chillies 1 Green Chilli - Split in half
15 Curry Leaves
1 tsp Ginger Paste
1 Pinch Asafoetida
8 to 10 Cashew Nuts
1 TBSP Oil / Ghee
Salt to taste

Method
  1. Heat oil in a pan and add Mustard Seeds and let them splutter.
  2. Now add Cumin Seeds and let them crackle.
  3. Add the Chana Dal, Urad Dal and Dry Red Chillies and wait till the Dals start to change colour.
  4. Add the Ginger Paste, Asafoetida, Green Chilli, Curry Leaves and Cashew Nuts.
  5. Saute till the Cashew Nuts turn brown.
  6. Now add the Grated Coconut and fry for a few minutes.
  7. Add salt and mix well.
  8. Now add rice and mix well.
  9. Serve hot on its own or with some spicy curry.



This goes to March - Week 4 of Cooking from Cookbook Challenge Group.

3 comments:

  1. Adding ginger paste to coconut rice is new but I bet would have tasted amazing. :-) Perfect lunch box recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a simple and delicious coconut rice. Looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comments. They mean a lot to me and will help me improve my blog.