Tuesday 15 May 2012

Pudhina Paneer Pulao / Mint Cottage Cheese Pulao

Kalyani hosts Magic Mingle every month. The concept seems very simple. She chooses 2 magic ingredients every month and posts them on her blog on the 5th of every month. We need to prepare a dish using both the ingredients (as main ingredients - not as garnishing or tempering) and post it on our respective blogs by the 15th of the same month.

Our Cherished World

Quiet simple you might think; just as I thought when I joined the event. The combinations she has chosen so far are totally new to me. Thinking about the dishes I can make with the combination has been pushing me out of my comfort zone. I am glad I joined this event as all the dishes I have made till date have been appreciated by P.

This month's dish was no exception. Mint and Paneer were the Magic Ingredients. A completely new combination for me. As Paneer was one of the main ingredients, I thought I'll make an Indian dish and settled on pulao. P liked it the moment he took his first bite. I have learnt that the addition of mint to a simple pulao can completely change its taste and give a more biryani like flavour. Well, this is not biryani in the true sense; its still pulao.

Our Cherished World

Serves: 3 - 4

Ingredients
1.5 cups Basmati Rice - washed thoughly and soaked for atleast 20 minutes
1 cup packed Mint Leaves - washed
200 gms Paneer - chopped into 1 cm cubes
2 Green Chillies
1 Onion - chopped
1 tsp Ginger Paste
1 tsp Garlic Paste
1 tsp Shahjeera / Caraway Seeds
1 Bay Leaf
2 Green Cardamoms
2 Cloves
1 inch piece Cinnamon
2 tbsp Oil
3 cups water + a little bit more to puree if needed
Salt to taste

Method
  1. Puree the Mint Leaves and Green Chillies to an almost smooth paste adding little water if necessary.
  2. Heat the Oil in a pan. When hot, add the Bay Leaf, Green Cardamoms, Cloves and Cinnamon and fry for about half a minute.
  3. Add the Shahjeera and let it sizzle.
  4. Now add the Onion and let it turn transparent.
  5. Add the Ginger and Garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes.
  6. Add the Mint - Chilli paste and fry for a few minutes till the raw smell goes.
  7. Add the Paneer and fry for 3 - 4 minutes.
  8. Drain the rice and add it to the pan and fry for 5 minutes.
  9. Add 3 cups water and bring to boil.
  10. Cover and cook till rice is done.
  11. Serve hot with Raita or plain curd / yoghurt.
Our Cherished World

This goes to Kalyani's Magic Mingle #5 - Mint & Cottage Cheese

10 comments:

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comments. They mean a lot to me and will help me improve my blog.