Wednesday 28 December 2011

Rajma Soup / Red Kidney Bean Soup

With the party season coming to an end, it won't be long before everyone is looking for healthy & low-calorie recipes. I would say this recipe fits the bill perfectly.


I am sure all of you know the nutritional value of Rajma (Red Kidney Beans), so I am not going to get into that. I had bookmarked this particular recipe by Tarla Dalal a while ago but never tried it as I felt it was incomplete.

I know she didn't become one of the best selling cook book authors in India by writing incomplete recipes. That's what drove me to follow her recipe almost word-to-word. The result??? No wonder she is one of India's best selling cook book authors.

Here's my tweaked recipe:


Serves: 2 - 3 as a complete meal

Ingredients
1 cup Rajma / Red Kidney Beans - soaked over night and drained
1 Onion - finely chopped
1 Tomato - finely chopped
4 Cloves Garlic - sliced
1 tsp Red Chilli Powder (adjust or omit - I didn't use)
1 tsp Lemon Juice
2 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
Chopped Coriander Leaves for garnish

Method
  1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker. When hot, add the Onions and saute till they become soft.
  2. Add the Tomatoes and Garlic and fry for a minute.
  3. Now add the Red Chilli Powder (if using) and salt and mix well.
  4. Add the drained Rajma and 3 cups of water and mix well.
  5. Pressure cook for about 4 - 5 whistles (or till done).
  6. Let it cool completely, transfer to a blender and blend to the desired consistency.
  7. Garnish with Corinader Leaves and serve.

Note: You can also use 1 400gms (14oz) tin of Red Kidney Beans. Make sure you drain and rinse well.

This goes to the following events:

Kiran's MLLA #42 that was started by Susan



Radhika's Winter Carnival
 

2 comments:

  1. Protein and nutritious rich soup,looks comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very neat pics. Rajma is my very fav..

    love ur blog :)So, you hav got a new fan ... :)

    Nupur
    UK Rasoi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comments. They mean a lot to me and will help me improve my blog.