Saturday 3 December 2011

Ala Badun - Sri Lankan Spicy Potatoes & Onions

After a mild November, December has come with the harsh winter. Its freezing... The only thing I like about December are the lights and excitement of Christmas.

We've put up our Christmas tree today. V was very excited. He's going to Santa's grotto at his nursery tomorrow. Don't know how he'll react then. I am so excited for him. Hee hee...

Anyways. When I saw that Priya is hosting Flavours of Sri Lanka, I started googling for Sri Lankan vegetarian recipes. The one recipe that appeared on every website I visited was Alu Badun - spicy potatoes and onions. And its been ages since I prepared my Alu Fry. So I decided to give this a try.

 It was completely different from whatever I've had till date... In a very nice way.


Ingredients
2 big Potato - boiled, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
1 big Onion - finely chopped
1 tsp Chilli Powder
1 tsp Paprika
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
2 sprigs of curry leaves
1 tsp Ground Mustard (See Note)
1 inch Cinnamon stick
2 tsp Lemon Juice
3 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste

Method
  1. In a bowl, take the Potatoes and mix with Salt, Turmeric, Chilli Powder and Paprika Powder.
  2. In a pan, heat the oil.
  3. Add the curry leaves and fry for a few seconds.
  4. Now add the Onions, Ground Mustard Seeds and Cinnamon and fry till the Onions turn golden brown.
  5. Add the Potatoes to the pan, mix well and cook till the Potatoes are heated through.
  6. Add the Lemon juice, mix well and turn off the heat.
  7. Remove the Cinnamon Stick and serve hot with rice / roti.

Note: Soak 1 tsp Mustard Seeds in warm water for about an hour. Crush the seeds using Mortar & Pestle / Mixie to the desired consistency.


This goes to Priya's Flavours of Sri Lanka that was started by Nayna.


5 comments:

  1. Slupr mouthwatering here, ala badun looks fabulous and irresistible,yes i do use light box dear for my pictures, its already getting dark once the clock turns 4pm..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do try it Archana. It was yumm...
    Thanks for the comments Priya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's delicious and tempting.First time at your space.Wonderful.
    Adding you,will meet often.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ala badun ... the name is unheard of.. but the dish looks super spicy and delicious..:) Lovely side for yogurt or sambhar rice..:))
    Thanks for sharing dear..
    Reva

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comments. They mean a lot to me and will help me improve my blog.