Monday 18 July 2011

Baked Falafel

This recipe has been in my to-try list for almost a year now. P was not a fan of chickpeas – that's what kept me from making this. His "liking" for chickpeas changed recently when one of our friends made this yummy chole. From then, he doesn’t mind chickpeas so much.

He’s also opened up to me trying out new recipes. With this combination, I had to try out this recipe that I had been "eyeing". I had found too many recipes for this. While some were too elaborate, some were too simple. I came up with the following recipe after keeping in mind that I need to feed V also the same thing – so it shouldn't be too spicy for him.

Chickpeas are high in protein. It is one of the sources of proteins in a vegetarian diet. The traditional Falafel is deep fried. Baking it is a healthier option.


Here's how I made this:

Ingredients
1 cup dry chickpeas – soaked over night and cooked
2 Green Chillies – Finely Chopped
1 cup Corainder Leaves – Finely Chopped
1/2 cup Mint Leaves – Finely Chopped
1 tsp Cumin Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1 tsp Chilli Powder
1 tbsp Garlic Paste
1 tbsp Ginger Paste
2 tbsp Whole Wheat Flour (I used Atta)
1 tsp Baking Powder
Salt to Taste
Oil to grease baking tray.


Method
  1. Pre heat the oven to 200oC.
  2. Take all the ingredients except Oil in a food processor and pulse to a coarse mixture.
  3. Take a baking tray and grease with Oil.
  4. Make 12 patties with the mixture and place them on the tray.
  5. Bake for 40 mins turning once in between.
  6. Serve hot with a dip / sauce.

Note 1: I made 20 patties – that's why they are thin. I will be making 12 patties next time so they are thick.
Note 2: I didn't add the green chillies to the food processor. I took out a few patties for V and added the green chillies and made the rest for us. This way, V didn't find it too spicy. It was right for us too.

This goes to the following events:

Shobha's Cook it Healthy.


Harini's Only Baked that was started by Pari.

1 comment:

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comments. They mean a lot to me and will help me improve my blog.