Saturday 12 February 2011

Pepper Coriander Mushroom Curry

Mushrooms... Never liked them much till I ate this dish. My mother had never prepared Mushrooms and wanted to make a dish. So she called her friend and took the recipe and made it. Reluctantly I took a bite and have been in love with the dish ever since. I won't say I love Mushrooms. But I love this dish.

This dish is extremely spicy (ofcourse, it depends on the amount of pepper you use). When my mother went back to India, I tried this dish a few times and it didn't come out that well. It was nice, but not wooow!!!

Recently when my cousin was here, he bought a packet of frozen sliced mushrooms and used very little. The packet was lying in my freezer occupying precious space. I got fed up of seeing the packet lying there, so I called my mother and took the recipe again. That's when she said its important to add lots of Coriander. That's the ingredient that I missed previously. With this new addition, my dish turned out WOOOW!!!



Ingredients:
500 gms Mushrooms sliced (if possible cooked in the microwave)
2 Onions - Finely Chopped
2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
2 tsp Cumin Seeds
3/4 tsp Coriander Powder
3/4 tsp Red Chilli Powder
1 1/2 tsp Fresh Ground Pepper (I ground it to a coarse powder)
2 fistfuls Fresh Coriander Leaves - Roughly Chopped
2 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste

Method
  1. Heat Oil in a Pan. Once hot, add the Mustard Seeds.
  2. When they pop, add the Cumin Seeds and let them crackle.
  3. Now add the onions and fry them till they get a nice brown colour.
  4. Add the Ginger Garlic Paste and fry till the raw smell goes.
  5. Add the Coriander Powder, Red Chilli Powder and salt and fry for a minute taking care that the spices dont burn.
  6. Now add the mushrooms and cook till done. If the mushrooms are pre cooked, cook till you get the right consistency.
  7. Add the Pepper Powder, mix and turn off the heat.
  8. Add the Corinder Leaves and mix.
  9. Serve hot with roti.

Note: I had a little left over curry with plain curd and it tasted excellent.

This goes to Sara's Corner's Healing Foods - Ginger and Garlic. Healing Foods was started by Siri of Cooking With Siri.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comments. They mean a lot to me and will help me improve my blog.