Thursday 24 February 2011

French Toast

My first memory of this dish is from a Star hotel in India. We were staying there and went down for the free breakfast. In the buffet, there was an item called French Toast. It just looked liked pieces of bread toasted with something. I took it (and others) and went to my table.

I hated it the moment I took a bite into it. It was sweet and soggy and smelt of egg. I never tried it again... until recently when I made my "Indian Version".

Like Egg Puff, this is a totally trial and error recipe. But these are the quantities I've used:


Ingredients:
6 Bread Slices – cut in any shape / size
4 Eggs
1/2 Cup Milk
1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Pepper
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
Salt to Taste
Oil to fry.

Method
  1. Break the eggs into a flat bowl so the bread slices can fit in well.
  2. Mix all the other ingredients (except bread and oil) and beat well.
  3. Put 1 tbsp Oil in a frying pan.
  4. When the oil is hot, dip 1 slice bread in the egg mixture. Turn it around so the egg mixture is coated on both sides of the bread.
  5. Place the bread slice on the pan. Repeat steps 4 and 5 till the frying pan is filled with bread slices in a single layer.
  6. At this point, you can cover and cook – I like to do this to ensure that the egg is cooked well inside the bread slice.
  7. Repeat steps 3, 4, 5 and 6 till all the bread slices are cooked turning each slice in between.
  8. Serve hot.

Note 1: If there’s any left over egg mixture, you can make an omelette with it.
Note 2: You can add finely chopped green chilli to "up" the spice factor.

This goes to Dish Name Starts with F started and hosted by Akila


This also goes to Food palette series brown started and hosted by Torview


4 comments:

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comments. They mean a lot to me and will help me improve my blog.