Sunday 27 February 2011

Fish Fry

We used to have fish quiet regularly in India. I never had it in the UK as the most common fish (Haddock and Cod) are not suitable for Indian cooking. They break very easily and the worst – they have the "fishy" smell which I hate.

After staying in UK for almost 4 years (this was more than a year back), me and P thought its high time we start trying out different kinds of fish to see which tastes good. We were browsing through the ASDA fish counter and saw this Vietnamese River Cobbler fillets. We picked it up as it was the cheapest fish on the counter – It was about 7 Pounds per KG. We thought if we were trying, we might as well start with the cheapest.

We bought 3 fillets (approx 500gms) and made fish fry. To our delight, the fish didn't break, it didn't smell and it tasted like Koramenu (Murrell) – the fish I love in India.

From then, I followed the same recipe to make fish fry once in atleast 10 days. Until my mother came... She tweaked the recipe and made it from good to awesome. We follow that recipe till date and it never fails us. Its almost like comfort food for the three of us.

While V has the fry on its own, me and P have it with either a soup or Jeera Rice.


Ingredients:
500 gm - Fish - cut into chunks (firm white fish) - I used Vietnamese River Cobbler
1/2 Small Onion
3 tsp Chopped Tomatoes
1 tsp Chilli Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
3/4 tsp Cumin Powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
2 tbsp Lime / Lemon Juice
a hand full of chopped coriander leaves (optional - I didn't use it this time)
Salt to taste
Oil to shallow fry

Method
  1. Make a fine paste of the Onion, Tomato, Chilli Powder, Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder, Turmeric Powder, Ginger Garlic Paste, Lime Juice and Coriander Leaves.
  2. Marinate fish in the paste for atleast 20 mins.
  3. Take a flat non stick frying pan and add 2 tbsp oil.
  4. Once the oil is hot, add the fish pieces one by one and fry them on both sides till they are done.
  5. If you have more fish left, proceed in the same way. You might need to add a little more oil to fry.

Note: If you are on a diet, have it with some salad.

This goes to Dish Name Starts with F started and hosted by Akila


1 comment:

  1. I am not on diet but lately, I am making lot of grilled fish or tandoori fish and am having it with some salad. I use a stove top grill pan and it comes pretty good. Fish looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comments. They mean a lot to me and will help me improve my blog.