Monday 24 January 2011

Egg Puff

I am not sure who doesn’t like Egg Puff (I am only talking about those who eat eggs). Atleast everyone I know love it. I really missed it after coming to UK. Then I read somewhere that you can make it quiet easily with the puff pastry – that is readily available in all the grocery stores. I tried this recipe a few years ago and kept making it every now and then.

Whenever I go to India, I still get it from my favourite bakery and eat it. Whatever I tried, I never got the same taste. But I still make my version as that is the only way I can enjoy this snack. I usually have it with tea or soup for dinner. With the cold weather, I made Carrot Coriander Soup and this for dinner.

I like to buy the puff pastry sheets. They are a bit more expensive than the puff pastry block. But they are rolled out and ready to use.

There is no definite recipe for this. But for complete newbies, this is just a rough guide. You can add more spices if you like.


I covered the top of the egg also with puff pastry – which is not how its usually done in India (atleast in Hyderabad). If you want the top of the egg to be overlapped by the corners, then 1 puff pastry sheet might give you 8 puffs. Again, the puff pastry sheet might vary.

Its mainly a matter of trial and error for this recipe.

Ingredients For 4 egg puffs
1 puff pastry sheet, thawed according to the instructions and cut into desired size
2 hard boiled eggs – halved.
1 pinch of Coriander Powder per puff
1 pinch of Jeera Powder per puff
1 pinch of Chat Masala per puff
Salt to taste.

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 200 degree C.
  2. On the cut part of the egg, sprinkle all the powders and salt.
  3. Place the cut part of the egg on one puff pastry "slice" and either overlap the edges or cover it with another slice.
  4. To seal the puff pastry, use water. If you are overlapping the edges, place one edge over egg, brush a little bit of water on the edge where the other edge will overlap, overlap the other edge and press gently. If you are placing one slice on top of the other, brush the edges with water, place the second slice on top and press gently.
  5. Place on a baking tray and bake for 15 to 20 mins. The puff is ready when the puff pastry rises fully.
  6. Serve with hot tea for a snack or soup for dinner.

This goes to Dish name starts with E started and hosted by Akila's Kitchen

2 comments:

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comments. They mean a lot to me and will help me improve my blog.