Saturday 29 January 2011

Carrot Coriander Soup

My son loves soups. I don't mind it as it is the best way to give him his vegetables. He has a lot of non-veg at his day care. So I try to give him vegetarian food at home. That way, he has a balanced diet.

With the winter here, all of us are relishing the warm soups. Here's one that's a classic, absolutely delicious and healthy at the same time. This soup proves that healthy can be tasty.

One interesting tip here. When I get fresh coriander from the shop, I pluck the leaves and discard the stems. Especially the hard ones. When my cousin was here in December, he saw what I did and told me that its the stems, especially the hard ones that are full of flavour. I thought he's just making a fool out of me. But I realised he was right.

From then, I am saving the stalks. I still pluck the leaves out but I wash the stems well, chop them (approx 1 cm pieces) and freeze them in ice cube trays. I use them for garnish, making a paste for Coriander Prawns and I used them for making this soup.

With the tip, I continue to my recipe...


Ingredients:
500 gms Carrots - Peeled and chopped to equal size pieces
1/2 Onion - finely chopped
1/2 cup Coriander Stems
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1 cube Veg / Chicken Stock
2 cups Water
1 cup Milk (Optional - but healthy)
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Chopped Coriander Leaves or Coriander Powder for garnish
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Method
  1. In a Pressure Cooker / Sauce pan, heat the Oil.
  2. Once the oil is hot, add the Onion and Coriander Stems and saute till the Onion is soft.
  3. Add the Coriander Powder and saute for a minute.
  4. Add the carrots and saute them for 2 to 3 minutes.
  5. Now crumble the stock cube, add 2 cups of water and cook till the carrots are soft (approx 3 whistles if using pressure cooker).
  6. When the pressure goes down, remove lid and blend using a hand blender to the desired consistency. If you don't have a hand blender, cool the carrots and blend it in a regular blender.
  7. Garnish with Chopped Coriander Leaves or Coriander Powder and serve with bread roll.

This goes to Soup Recipes hosted by My Culinary Creations.

This also goes to Winter Warmers started and hosted by The Veggie Hut

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comments. They mean a lot to me and will help me improve my blog.