Tuesday 23 November 2010

Tomato Soup

Tomato Soup… the first soup I ever liked in a hotel. Now when I think back, I guess I loved the soup more for the bread "cubes" they served with the soup.

I want to give V as much Indian food as possible when he's at home. He has his "English" food at the day care. So he needs to get his spice at home.

I started making this Soup when he wasn't well. He was down with a bad cold and temperature a few months back and wouldn't chew on anything. So I made this soup, put it in a beaker and took him around the garden and made him drink it.

I made it a bit mild then but now I add a little more spice to it. Me and P also loved this soup. So I make it now and then. With the winter here, I am sure I'll be making it more.



Ingredients:
12 salad tomatoes – Chopped roughly
1 Onion – chopped finely
1 large Bayleaf
7 to 10 Cloves
2 tsp Cumin Seeds
2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
1 small carrot – sliced roughly (optional)
Salt to taste
2 tbsp butter / oil
1 tsp Mixed Italian Herbs (optional)
1 tbsp Cream (optional)
A few (or a lot) Bread “Cubes”
Coriander Leaves to garnish(optional)


Method
  1. Heat oil / butter in a pressure cooker. Once hot, add the Bayleaf and cloves and try for 3 mins.
  2. Now add the Cumin Seeds and let them crackle.
  3. Add the Onion and fry it till it turns brown.
  4. Remove the Bayleaf and Cloves at this stage.
  5. Add the Ginger Garlic Paste and fry till the raw smell disappears.
  6. Add the carrots now if using. Fry for about 3 to 4 minutes.
  7. Now add the tomatoes and mix well. Add salt and cook for about 3 whistles. You don't need to add water as the tomatoes have enough water. If in doubt, add half a cup of water and pressure cook.
  8. Once the pressure has come down, blend it using a hand blender. If you do not have a hand blender, cool it before blending it.
  9. You can strain the soup if you want. I do not strain it.
  10. Add the Mixed Italian Herbs if using.
  11. Dish into serving bowls , add the bread cubes.
  12. You can garnish with cream or coriander leaves or both.
  13. Serve with bread rolls or potato wedges or any other snack.


Since this is reddish in colour, this is going to Torview's Food Palette red event giveaway.

This is also going to Winter Warmers started and hosted by The Veggie Hut.


This also goes to Soup Recipes hosted by My Culinary Creations.

2 comments:

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comments. They mean a lot to me and will help me improve my blog.