Sunday 26 September 2010

Palak Roti / Spinach Flat Bread

Me being a Telugu (South Indian), never had Rotis much at home. So for me to learn how to make them was a task. Now, I can say I can make decent (edible) rotis. All thanks to Aayi’s Recipes. She has a pictorial of how to make Rotis / Chapatis. If you want the basics, please refer to her page.

Once I could make rotis / phulkas, I decided to make a variation. I wanted to make palak rotis. They are healthy and quiet tasty as well. Its also a great way to make kids (small and big alike) eat their spinach. So here’s what I did. The rolling out and cooking is similar to the Phulkas on Aayi’s Recipes.


Ingredients:
100 gm frozen Spinach - cooked in microwave as per instructions and cooled
1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
5 to 6 sprigs coriander (leaves and stems)
Salt to taste

For the Rotis:
2 cups Chapati Atta
Warm Milk to knead the dough
A few drops of Oil
Ghee / Oil for cooking (Optional)

Method:
  1. Blend the Spinach, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Ginger Garlic Paste, Coriander and salt to a smooth paste. Add water only if needed.
  2. Add this to the dry Chapati Atta and mix well.
  3. Add enough warm milk to knead a soft dough.
  4. Cover it in a few drops of oil, wrap it in cling film and let it rest for atleast 20 mins.
  5. After it has rested, remove the cling film and knead it for 2 mins again.
  6. Now make golf sized balls (I usually get about 8 to 9 balls with 2 cups of atta).
  7. Take 1 ball and roll it
  8. Fry like a Phulka.
  9. Once the Phulka is ready, smear it with oil / ghee. Remember, a little goes a long way.
  10. Serve with curry / curd / pickle

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comments. They mean a lot to me and will help me improve my blog.